Tuesday, July 20, 2010

An ICE journey

For people who are unfamiliar, ICE means In-Car Entertainment.

I never understand why people spend loads of money on the audio system in their car, but now that I've been through the process, I fully understand and appreciate.

All my previous cars, I've never paid attention to the audio, well, as long as there is some bass, the sound is clear, I am happy.

For my current ride, I started with upgrading the stock speakers with a set of Pioneer component speakers in the front and a set of JBL coaxial speakers at the back. The sound was good, but I find that it lacks bass, so I went back and install a Steelmate Active Subwoofer below the passenger seat.

All was well, until one day, I decided to change the head unit so that I can play music from my iPod. I also installed a rear view camera at the same time. Then the rear JBL start to vibrate and upon recommendation, I replaced them with Helix Dark Blue 62.1 component speakers. The Helix put the front Pioneer speakers to shame, and very soon, the Pioneer speakers gave way as well. Having heard the quality of the sound, I decided to have the Helix Dark Blue 62.1 component speakers installed in the front.

Time passed, and the Mrs start to complain the that 'boom boom boom' from the active subwoofer is overwhelming. So went back for a solution, and was recommended the Helix Dark Blue 4 Channel amplifier. The guys hooked it up and I was blown away by the sheer quality. I also have monster cables and shielded speaker cables to go with the entire setup.

So after 4 months and S$3,000 later, I'm a proud owner of a quality audio system in my car. The pleasure of driving doubled, as I cruise along the expressway with my favourite track.

ICE is cool :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bounty Hunter,

After you've changed the rear and front speakers and add the 4 channel amp, do you still keep the Steelmate active sub? Are you satisfied with its sound?

Thanks,
Adee

12:13  
Blogger The Bounty Hunter said...

Hi Adee,

The steelmate active sub ws traded in for the 4 channel amp. The active sub was good, but the 4 channel amp was even better.

Cheers

00:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home