Friday, February 18, 2005

Cultural Diversities - Part II

Been here for more than two weeks liao, it's really a different world here. Well, I don't mean a different world literally, but there are certain cultures here that is followed very strictly based on Islamic laws, and that's what makes this place so 'unique'. There are no cinemas, no theatres, no pubs, no discos, no alchohol at all.. Of course no beach also lah... But there are lots of nice big cars, limousines, big houses, huge palaces, big shopping malls and lots of sand :P

Due to the fact that women are not allowed to work, all shop attendants are male, even in female lingerie shops. Women are not allowed to drive, so all drivers are male. And because the Islamic Laws prohibit the proximity to women other than your wife, you're not allowed to speak to a woman who is not your wife! And in public places like fast food restaurants, there are separate queues for males and females. Even in banks and at ATMs, the queues are separate and well defined. You should never queue in the wrong line nor should you look at a woman directly. If you're caught by the religious policemen breaking any of this rule, then it's good luck to you :( And if a man complains to the religious policemen that you looked at his wife, then also good luck to you. I was stopped from bringing a camera into the mall the other time, it was for my protection cos just in case I 'accidentally' captured the image of somebody's wife in the camera, then it's also good luck to me liao... :(

So you may wonder how two persons get together and become husband and wife, well... 95% of the marriages in this part of this world are arranged through parents!! Not joking, it's true. You may ask me what about the 5%, that I do not know. :P But I can give one guess, let's say I see this lady in the mall, although she's all covered up, but my instinct tells me she's attractive and I think I want to get to know her more. What can I do? Well, I will write my mobile phone on a piece of paper, catch her attention somehow, then throw the piece of paper on the floor. If she picks up the paper and calls me, then ho say liao lor :P But if someone else picks up the piece of paper, then I have to change my mobile phone number liao.... hahaha.. :P

Next time then I'll write about the role of women in the Saudi and also the roles of the religious policeman known as the Mutawahs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home