Tuesday, September 21, 2004

In the middle of nowhere. . .

Whaler - 'Sampan' fitted with an outboard motor, and is able to carry a maximum of 6 people across the waters.

Finished work around 0030 hrs yesterday and proceeded to the jetty to go home. I was the only passenger on board the whaler and half -way through the 1-minute journey, the motor went dead! So there I was stranded in the middle of the ocean, helpless and watching the whaler operator trying frantically to get the motor to start again. As if this wasn't bad enough, it started to drizzle.... Kaozz!! Stuck in the middle of the ocean, and it's raining and I've got no umbrella or rain-coat and the current is drifting the whaler further and further away.... now I understand what is meant by 'cry no tears'... The whaler operator can't speak English and I also don't know how to help him, so LL stand in the rain (which is getting heavier) and watch him... Eventually after 20 min (I think), he managed to get the motor running (but slowly) and we continue our voyage back home... Finally reach the home jetty, still raining, thank the whaler operator and dash towards home!

By the time I reach my room, I'm already soaked wet and feeling very miserable, so quickly had a hot shower, make cup noodles and coffee, sat at my desk and listen to my favourite music... what a night!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bubbly: hey it certainly sound like you had an adventure in the ocean haha, but seriously do hope you din catch a cold as a result of being drenched... actually i don't really understand why the amenities over there are lagging so far behind in terms of technology and modernisation, the whole island should be "tourist-rich" so why not spend some money on upgrading?
one lesson learnt for u is try not to go off work so late :P

14:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home